Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 10, 2008

This morning was our meeting at PFLAG Salisbury. I don't know of a group I enjoy more, both in terms of passion, outreach and just being with some of the nicest people I know.

I especially like their outreach to the community of Rowan Co. We have a scholarship fund that sends a young person to school each year. We also volunteer with Rowan Helping Ministries, an outreach program to those in need, which are many at this time. I volunteered this morning but realized that's the day of the HRC Gala in Charlotte next month. More on that later. Last year's Educational Initiative was 'interesting'. I think this year will be equally enlightening. As I said, more later.

It's interesting how things happen when you network. The PFLAG folks invited me to speak to the group last March. They were so nice I decided to join and it's become one of my favorite events.

This morning a representative of RAIN - Regional Aids Interfaith Network, came to speak. Both her passion and compassion were evident. It was a good meeting.

We have set a date of January 29th for our first Interfaith Coalition meeting in Charlotte. This may not be huge in terms of glitz or numbers, but nothing is more important. It may well be we can work closely with RAIN.

I was thinking the other day of what has meant most to me since I transitioned. I think as much as anything, the day I got my new library card stands out. There's some little pleasure in seeing that slip of paper with my name inserted into the book. I guess I'm a person of simple pleasures which is probably a good thing.

No comments: