Wednesday, March 08, 2006

March 8, 2006

I watched the Oscars Sunday evening for the first time ever. Of course, I had an ulterior motive in hoping Felicity Huffman would win 'best actress' for 'Transamerica'. Although I was hoping she would, I was not surprised she didn't.

That fact does not diminish the impact this motion picture has in portraying a transsexual as simply a person who is seeking happiness. As Dolly Parton sings, "questions I have many, answers but a few". How true that is, and applies to all of us. (although oftentimes we won't admit we have more questions than answers)

The impact of this movie was demonstrated by the Larry King show a couple weeks ago, in which there were a number of transsexual panelists. There have been others. It may not be an overstatement to say we took a quantum leap in outreach.


With my change in employment, there is only one of the old 'gang' with whom I'm keeping in touch. We spoke today and will meet for lunch one day soon.

No comments: