Tuesday, December 19, 2006

December 19, 2006

This is the time of year when a project called Room In The Inn is quite active. Various churches, including ours, take in homeless neighbors for a night to provide a good meal and a warm bed. For those who prepare a meal, or act as servers, it's a small contribution which probably has as much meaning to the volunteer as it does the recipient.

It was good to hear a local television station is taking part by collecting donations.

During a recent cold snap, the Charlotte Urban Ministry was short 1000 beds. A local church opened it's doors and took in 200 women.

Clearly, the need remains greater than the resources. The effort gets most attention in winter months, especially around Christmas. The problem is year round.



Last night was the Time Out Youth meeting, which included GenderSpace. I have said before how the young folks impress me, so I won't belabor the point. They are too cool.



Our support group Christmas party was this past Saturday night and a whole lot of fun. My GG friends, Melanie and Stephanie attended again this year. They always enjoy meeting my other friends. It's fun when your friends from two parts of life have an opportunity to say hello to each other.


I don't vent very often, so this will be as close as I come. It has eternally bothered me when people in the TG community have an elevated perception of their importance to the community. I am not speaking of anyone in my immediate circle of friends, nor my support group. Now and then we see people who, in each conversation, feel compelled to recite their resume'. It is not new.

In my view, the greatest contributions are made by those who live their lives in such a way as to be an example to others, or who show their care for others in any number of ways. I am priveleged to know several of those people now, to have knowledge of others and to be aware there are others whose names will never be known. To those good people, each of us is indebted.

No comments: