Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March 25, 2008

A gay person was assaulted with a knife late last week in reasonably close proximity to the venue in which one of our support groups meets. I hear people say any crime is a hate crime.

However, when a hate crime is thus categorized, the opportunity exists to break the cycle of ignorance breeding fear, which breeds hatred, which breeds violence.

This was a gay person. He was still a person. It could as easily have been a trans person.....or any person. We've talked in our group this week about watching out for each other. There already are enough people to be honored on the days set aside.

I'm invited to the board meeting this Saturday of Equality, North Carolina. As I told the people I have spoken with, I'm more a survivor than a leader. In any case, hopefully we can each contribute something to the cause of this organization. Their work is valuable beyond anything we can now realize.

I was talking with friends the other day about possible alternate career paths. One thought is to work with a non profit organization in which diversity is honored. I am also considering laser technician training and training to sit for licensing as a certified nail technician. All these ideas have merit.

No comments: