Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Crisis - the book

I meant to post a link earlier to a new book titled 'Crisis'. It details the lives of a number of victims of hate crimes and how their families dealt with the loss. There is a section on Sean Kennedy. If you are inclined to buy this book, a purchase through Sean's Last Wish will donate a portion of the proceeds to the foundation.

Speaking of which, I'm planning to drive to Pride Raleigh Sept. 27 with my friend Elke and her husband. We will leave Friday to be rested for a long day at the Pride event. Each of these events is unique. Elke has been given a speaking slot, as well she should. For me, this will be another time of charging my batteries and networking with a whole new group of people. I do enjoy these events so much. I'm sure I will see many acquaintances and friends from the Raleigh/Durham area.

I was given an opportunity to attend a conference titled 'On Becoming A Welcoming Church' this coming Friday through Sunday at the Wake Forest Divinity School in Winston Salem, NC.

Even though I will miss several events in Charlotte this weekend, this is a unique opportunity and one I do not want to miss. Our Charlotte Gender Alliance folks will handle our booth at the LGBT Healthfair Saturday. I wanted to attend the Farewell To Summer Party Saturday evening, but as I said, the conference must come first.

We hear so often about people who have been turned away by their own churches, it becomes easy to overlook those chuches that have had the courage to become Open & Affirming. So many in the LGBT community are ostracized by the very churches that should be welcoming. There is an increasing number of Open & Affirming churches. The courage of each church leader and congregation should be honored. The result of that courage will have a ripple effect through time. When any effort is made to educate and encourage, it must come before anything else. Nothing is more important. God loves each of us more than we can imagine; a hurting world needs that message.

The fact this conference will encourage other churches to become 'ONA' is an overwhelming thought.

1 comment:

Lori D said...

I look forward to hearing more from you about how the church can be more welcoming to transgender, gay, and lesbian people. In my opinion, we should have ALWAYS been at the forefront of caring for the many within these communities who are brokenhearted.