Monday, February 23, 2009

After The Perfect Storm - Truth wins out



February 21st was a busy day, especially with the HRC dinner Saturday evening. I got to the demonstration against the Love Won Out conference around 11 AM. Several people from this and other fundamentalist churches came out to talk with us. For the most part it was very respectful. I had a conversation with a young man from The Fire Church. He asked what I meant by religious bigotry. We progressed to my asking if he knew what 'transgender' meant. He had heard the word but did not know. I hope he knows a little more today.

As I told the young man, why would I want "reparative therapy" when I already am created as I was meant to be? It is beyond me why, with all the problems we have right now, people are even worried about what someone's gender identity or sexual orientation might be. But I digress; I could write a book on that one subject.

The Charlotte Rainbow Action Network for Equality (CRANE)did an amazing job organizing this event, especially in view of the fact they are a relatively new organization. Crane is a grassroots organization as a result of the Prop 8 demonstration in Charlotte November 15. People like Matt Comer, Teresa Davis, Megan Gandy and many others have come together at just the right time. People finding each other and coming together is part of the sense of unity I feel these days.

I had to leave early to be at The Charlotte Convention Center for a meeting with Joe Solmonese arranged by Janice Allison. We spent approximately 45 minutes with Mr. Solmonese. As I told him, there is nothing I can say that he had not heard many times. He reiterated his support for a trans inclusive ENDA and hopes for passage later this year. Let's sincerely hope it happens. Things are reaching critical mass with many people I know in the community and it is an issue with me as well.

Someone called the meeting historic. I don't know about that but it was a unique opportunity to share from the heart.

Before the HRC dinner, Janice had a demonstration in front of The Convention Center. This was to show our support for a trans inclusive ENDA. As always, the religious right was there to protest everyone, including us.

I want to specifically mention the two ladies with whom I had a wonderful conversation. I enjoyed meeting you both. As we discovered, we have more in common than we do disparity. We know we all want the same thing. If you read this, and I hope you will, please do keep in touch. I would like to get to know both of you better. I know nice people when I meet them.

I attended the HRC dinner as a board member of Sean's Last Wish. Elke was acknowledged twice for the work her foundation is doing, once by Senator Kay Hagan. It meant a great deal to her and to us as board members.

One of the enjoyable parts of any event is networking with people and seeing folks you met earlier. I happened to meet three of the students from Winthrop University where I spoke last April for The National Day of Silence Observance. I wrote in this blog that day that I was impressed by their sense of passion and maturity.

I told them Saturday that their sense of leadership shows through even more this year. I get goose bumps when I think of all they will accomplish in the cause for human dignity as time moves on. They are incredible young men and woman whom I am honored to have known.

I was invited to the press conference Friday in preparation for the Love Won Out demonstration. Each of us spoke approximately five minutes. Local news carried Wayne Besen's comments, which is only fitting. He is director of Truth Wins Out and is a passionate individual.

You can view the news segment here.

So the events of Feb 21st are why I say Truth Won Out. There were many events, but no one group or individual taking credit or special recognition. This is part of what makes it all so special. I uploaded some photos from the day which can be seen via this link.

No comments: