Tuesday, February 03, 2009

February 3, 2009

I wonder how I can go for years without catching so much as a cold and then, without warning I get zapped. Whether it was bronchitis or a virus I've not done much of anything the last ten days. Yuck. I did finally feel better today and had lunch with a friend.

One thing I did perk up for last week was the first meeting of The Charlotte Interfaith Coalition. The only adequate word I can find is 'extraordinary'.

We had nine different faith communities represented: Buddhist, Jewish and various Christian denominations. There were 25 people present, including three pastors.

Our initial meeting was a time of becoming acquainted. As we went around the room I heard stories of hurt. At the same time, I also heard hope. I heard compassion. This will be an important part of what we have to offer the LGBT community.

I just think it was so unique to have a faith based meeting with the goal of influencing other faith communities to become Welcoming & Affirming, and to also touch the broader LGBT community. We will meet once per month with limitless possibilities. I realize I speak in superlatives occasionally, but this is going to be huge.

We are not unique as my friends in Winston-Salem have been meeting the last few months. Thanks to all of you for the inspiration!

This weekend is Charlotte Gender Alliance's second meeting in the LGBT Community Center. The common denominator in everything we are doing is unity. It's not cutting edge stuff. If we want to be united, we must get to know each other. Lots of exciting things ahead.

No comments: