Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Charlotte Aids Walk

The AIDS Walk took place in Charlotte May 1st. I've been to a lot of Prides, but this was my first AIDS Walk. It's pretty amazing when approximately 2500 people come together for a worthy cause.

The Charlotte Interfaith Connection has partnered with RAIN (Regional Aids Interfaith Network) to maintain a pantry with toiletries which patients are not provided through other social services. There were two SUV's collecting toiletries from the participants at the Walk which means the pantry at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is sufficiently stocked to give us a head start. We are seeking other faith communities to maintain the pantry one month each year.





The Carolinas Gender Odyssey was going to be a June event similar to other conferences around the country. Scheduled were breakout sessions, a talent show and a formal ball. I speak in the past tense as the planning committee has announced postponement of the event until next year. There are a number of reasons but the attendance clearly was not going to be as hoped.

Former world heavyweight wrestling champion, Gene Kiniski, passed away last month. I've written a few times that my friends don't know the side of me that has the abiding interest in the history of wrestling, unless they read this blog.

Gene has been discussed at length on the Wrestling Legends newsgroup. The conversation has had me thinking of our LGBT community. Sometimes I think everything leads me back to the LGBT community. In any case, the wrestling newsgroup has one characteristic I appreciate, courtesy and respect. Whether they were in the business, or just old time fans, everyone is held in the same high regard. I try and imagine what we could accomplish in the way of true LGBT unity if we did the same.

No comments: