Sunday, May 30, 2010

Charlotte Interfaith Connection

I posted recently that contributions at the Aids Walk last month went a long way towards stocking our toiletry pantry. We are at the point of readiness to begin coordinating with RAIN to distribute the items on a regular basis.

This outreach was the vision of my dear friend, Charley. RAIN has evolved from care for the dying to compassionate care for the living. The Charlotte Interfaith Connection shows again that when we begin an outreach, we never know what other doors will open and how we, and others, will be touched.

I visited with my dear friends in the Women Connecting For Justice group at Holy Covenant United Church of Christ this past Wednesday evening. It was exciting to see good friends for the first time in a while. Their contribution to our RAIN pantry is most appreciated. Holy Covenant UCC is one of the faith communities partnering with us in this outreach.



Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday. This past Friday was my ex wife's birthday. Unfortunately, I will not be able to speak with either of them. It will always be illogical that so many of us lose so much in order to be who we are. I think often of my friends where I worked 20 years. If any of you read this, know I miss you all. You have my continued respect and friendship.

We need to remind ourselves from time to time that so many people sacrifice most of who they are to conform to what others think they should be. We can do this to a degree, perhaps even for a lifetime. However, what we have traded eventually becomes evident. There comes that time when a person decides whether to take off the mask, or continue a day to day existence that doesn't even meet the definition of 'existence'. That is when we decide whether to really live. For me personally, the decision to not live was not an option.

No comments: