Saturday, December 31, 2005

Roxy

Christmas was totally stress free this year, except for a little excitement the day after Christmas.

Melanie does volunteer work with the elderly, and has worked with Jean a number of years. Jean recently lost her little dog, Libby. I'm sure there was an emptiness in her heart at Christmas.

The animal shelter was closed Christmas Eve. Melanie made a phone call and, when they learned the circumstance, they opened just for her on Christmas Eve. She found a cute little Jack Russell terrior named Roxy. She was told Roxy had been mistreated in the past and all she needed is tender loving care.

They took care of all the papers and several of the workers went to the car to send Melanie and Roxy on their way. It was so emotional, and the true spirit of Christmas, Melanie said they all had a good cry right there in the parking lot.

Roxy was fine, but somehow got loose Christmas night. Melanie rushed to Jean's mobile home park and was searching for Roxy by flashlight until almost midnight, with no luck.

I went over with her the next morning, hoping we could corrall the dog. We walked and ran until 2:00 PM. We were expecting the police to show up at any minute to see what we were up to. We spent the day crouching behind bushes and automobiles, hoping the dog would come close enough to grab. We were crouched behind my car. Melanie looked at me and said, "you come here often?" The girl never ceases to totally crack me up.

She finally had the idea of putting some food in her car and leaving the door open. Sure enough, Roxy hopped in the car, and I ran over and closed the door. I saw how traumatized the dog had been. She literally climbed under the dashboard and lodged herself. I put on gloves and had to pull her out.

Roxy is fine now and will have a good home. I got plenty of exercise that day, which was also a good thing.

Below is a photo of Roxy immediately after I closed the car door.

No comments: