Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ten Minutes of Dignity

The following ten minute video has been posted on the Trans Group Blog. It's produced by Massachusetts Equality, GLAD and MA Transgender Political Action. The video primarily addresses the issue of transgender employment rights and our fear of violence. You can view it here.

I will never understand why this has to be such a volatile issue for so many people, why a person seeking their life's fulfillment is so abhorrent to coworkers and family. Very few of us have not dealt with this to some degree. This is why the glimmer of hope in passing a trans inclusive ENDA during this calendar year is so vitally important. Non discrimination laws at the state and local level are another imperative. The transgender woman who was fired by The City of Charlotte is a perfect example. One day you may be a valued employee and friend. The next day you may not be suitable to sit with at the same table.

This Tuesday, March 24 is the Equality North Carolina Day of Action. Many of us, including allies, will be traveling to Raleigh to meet with our legislators. It's a day I'm looking forward to. The issues of school bullying and violence are another imperative that needs to be addressed.

I'm still meeting people who recognize me from the interview on Fox News and Time Warner News last month. The girls in my favorite dress shop thought it was totally cool I was wearing the wardrobe I bought from them. If you all read this, thanks!

In the realm of less important news to everyone but me, I have a new hairstyle. It's a lot shorter than I've been wearing my hair, but I have the best hair stylist on the planet. I really do love it, especially with warm weather coming. It will be infinitely more comfortable during Pride Charlotte, which is July 25th.

No comments: