Sunday, November 23, 2008

November 23, 2008


The Transgender Day of Remembrance is always emotional for me, but this year it was overwhelming. One of our members had a cake made with the names of the victims thus far in 2008, with special tribute to Sean Kennedy. I found myself thinking all day of people I knew years ago who are no longer with us.

After the speeches, including Elke Kennedy, we had an outdoor candlelight vigil followed by a reading of the names, accompanied by a chime after each name was read. Emotional does not describe it.

Special thanks go to the leaders at The Lesbian & Gay Community Center. Their cooperation was amazing and will not be forgotten. As I said Thursday evening, as far as I'm concerned, we're family.

Saturday was a women's business bazaar at the center. I met some nice people and got an idea or two about something I want to do in the future.

Two months ago, Elke had asked if I would serve on the board of directors of Sean's Last Wish. Naturally I told her I would be honored. There is so much important outreach to be accomplished and I can think of no one whom I would be more honored to stand beside.

No comments: