Saturday, November 08, 2008

Stop The Hate - Nov 7, 2008

This evening was the Matthew Shephard Stop The Hate concert at UNCC. Elke and Jim are in Charlotte several days for the training session. We had dinner last night; the concert was this evening.

The concert was to commemorate last month's tenth anniversary of Matthew Shephard's murder. Elke and Jim were recognized during the evening for their work in Sean's Last Wish. Even during the concert, people come up to Elke just to share a word or a hug. There is no way to calculate the number of lives she and Jim have touched in the last year and a half.

The purpose of the training sessions is to train the trainers as activists on college campuses and elsewhere. In 20-2o hindsight, I wish I had signed up for the training.

I'm just like anyone else, I get caught up in living my own life along with the accompanying daily drama, and my life has had it's share this year. I even find myself concerned about the drama in support groups, something that has absolutely no useful purpose I can think of.

Then I enjoy an evening at the Matthew Shephard concert, spend time networking with other like minded people and realize this and the people in the LGBT community who are persecuted only because of 'being' is all that really matters. My batteries must not have been too low because they are fully charged early on a Saturday morning.

No comments: