Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Elizabeth Birch at UNCC

Former Human Rights Campaign director, Elizabeth Birch spoke at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte last evening. Her speech evidenced her devotion to the cause of human dignity and was well received.

As I was expecting, the subject of The Employment Non Discrimination Act (ENDA) came up. How could it not? She pointed out they were within one vote of passing ENDA in 1995.

During the post event reception, I was able to speak with her one on one. She is as appalled as anyone over the rift between HRC and the transgender community. Her comments about imploring Barney Frank to support a trans inclusive ENDA were interesting.

It would not serve well for me to make a lengthy commentary on ENDA. Donna Rose, a former HRC board member has done a better job of maintaining a timeline than anyone I know of.

Elke Kennedy has been interviewed by GLAAD. You can read the interview here. The energy and courage of this woman continue to amaze me. I'm proud to call her my friend.

If you go the GLAAD blog home page, another transgender woman was murdered in August. She passed away August 30th. Nakhia Williams will be another human being to be remembered on The Transgender Day of Remembrance next month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have created a website for TDoR complete with statistics, a list of the people we have lost to anti-transgender violence and TDoR events. Please visit http://www.transgenderdor.org
I update the website every Monday and Thursday, so please check the website often. If you are working on an event in your area, please send me an email at: radicalguy@gmail.com

Be well,
Ethan St.Pierre

Lori D said...

We make strides, and people still die. Day of Remembrance will allow us to refocus, like we need to do every year.