Monday, October 06, 2008

my daughter's wedding

I don't write a lot about my personal life, except for the nut in the gas line last week. However, my daughter was married yesterday.

This was one of the more emotional times I've had this year, and I've already had a few. I had not seen either of my children in several years. I truly hope this is the start of a new relationship. There are a myriad of issues to discuss and begin to heal. The real healing will begin with only one word.......love.

Her husband is a fine young man, in the Army and will begin his second tour in Iraq October 17th. I thanked him for for what he has done for us and am proud for him to be my son in law.

My son's brother in law is a Marine, having joined the service earlier this year. As I spoke with him, the pride in his voice and his demeanor was palpable. These are people to be proud of.

My ex wife and I were cordial, which is no small thing. She probaby would not believe how I have worried about her, although I have.

I have to also admit I never knew I had so many tears to cry, but that's okay. Tears bring a healing in many ways.

I don't always agree with people in the transgender community why try to reconstruct their past. I respect their decision because this is an individual choice and we do what we must to survive. However, in my view, we are all the sum total of everything we have ever done or been. I will always be a father, and proudly so. It is part of who I am. Everyone changes as a person over time, some of us moreso than others, which is putting it mildly. This part of me will never change. Sometimes people have a hard time understanding we have always been who we are; only the outward appearance changes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. I have seen three of my daughters married and now have four beautiful little grandchildren. I'll always be a father of three...but I'm a grandma to four.

Lori's Place said...

I am so glad you attended your daughter's wedding. Love can heal all things in life. Pam, I hope this is the start of a renewed relationship with your daughter and son in law.

Take Care & Prayers,
Lori Clarkson