Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas party

Last evening was the Kappa Beta Christmas party. I intentionally don't talk a lot about myself in this blog because it would be boring, but I was given the greatest honor I've had in a long time.

A Kappa Beta member, Dyana Lea passed away this year. She was well past eighty years old and was active until the end. She was an inspiration to anyone who knew her.


The Kappa Beta Board of Directors presented me the first 'Dyana Lea Memorial for Outstanding Service to the Transgender Community'. Above is a photo of my dear friend Nancy presenting the award. I was almost speechless; note the 'almost'. You can click to enlarge

Real achievements are never accomplished by one person. Rather, each organization or outreach is but the sum of all the parts. Our success or failure is dependant upon each other.

If a group member touches one life by listening to someone in need, they may have accomplished as much as any activist. In a large sense, each of us is a representative of our community. Activism takes many forms.

I often wonder how many people read this blog, but if you are contemplating visiting a support group, you will be a valuable addition wherever you live.

I attended a laser workshop last week. I am seriously considering laser aesthetics as a new career. There will always be the debate between laser and electrolysis as to which is most effective. Each has it's place in the right situation and perfomed properly.

No comments: