Sunday, December 21, 2008

December 21, 2008

Last night was a little holiday party, which always reminds me how much I enjoy Christmas. Unfortunately there are so many others who are not enjoying the season, whether due to the economy, job loss, family loss or a combination of these things. As I have said so often, the peace we seek is already right there just waiting for us.

Here in Charlotte, we have decided to open the LGBT Community Center Christmas Day from 1 PM until 6 PM. There will be plenty of food and a time to meet some nice folks. If you live near Charlotte, or will be passing through that day, we would love to have you. It is not necessary to RSVP unless someone wants to let me know if they are bringing a dish. I'm keeping a list to be sure we have enough variety. It is also not necessary to RSVP to break bread with us. Send me an email if you need information or directions.

The really cool thing is we will always embrace diversity. Some straight allies are coming, along with a some folks who don't celebrate Christmas. We really can get together under one roof, no matter who we are, and enjoy each other's company. There will be music on the keyboard, which leads me to say I promised to not sing. That in itself should boost attendance.

Charlotte Gender Alliance will be moving into The Center on a permanent basis beginning with the January 3rd meeting. This will afford us so many more amenities and flexibility in our meetings. Most of all, it is a step towards a united LGBT community. It's not a quantum leap in unity but it's pretty cool.

No comments: