Monday, December 01, 2008

December 1, 2008

Today is World Aids Day. Two friends and I went downtown at noon to pay respects during the ceremony and reading of the names. A church service was held this evening.

Naturally I thought of The Transgender Day of Remembrance and our reading of names. If we are to become one community, and I believe we must, all segments of that community need to be supportive of each other.

Many years ago there was debate about the wisdom of the transgender community aligning with the LGB community. You still hear it occasionally. What I thought of that issue now or then d0es not matter. It's been done and we'd best realize we are eternally classified as one community. I guess you could say we are joined at the hip. We need to be joined at the heart.

We are certainly not at the forefront of that goal in NC, but I believe we are doing better. I found it noteworthy that we had more gay and straight allies attend our event than we did transgender people. I have to admit that gives me reason to think we have some work to do in motivating our own people.

No comments: